Who is this Jackcabnory......

London Cab Driver, part-time Singer, micro/macro blogger, runner and primary school teacher in the making.....

Sunday 18 March 2012

Random musings

Thought I'd drop a few lines down about customers of note and also some other thoughts.....

I picked up an elderly couple from Kings Cross, they were en route to Sussex via Charing Cross station to visit family....the clan extends to 4 generations.   What a fantastic dynasty they sit atop,  "great grandchildren are the best" they said, "you can enjoy them without any feeling of responsibility"..... I guess after 3 children and 11 grandchildren, you learn to put the onus of 10 great grandchildren onto the 2 levels of parenthood below you.

On my travels I met a Belgian guy (not French as i had first thought.....hey it's pretty close!) he'd just returned from a trip to Munich, and we somehow got into a a discussion about various forms of 'icsm'.  Almost every point of a persons being is judged,  religion,  ethnicity,  skin colour, name etc etc.  The incessant default of those who deem to marginalise others, is to choose almost anything other than that that in the control of the individual.  Wouldn't it be great if that tide could turn......

I was recently gifted an iPad for my 40th, and as an avid follower of tech developments I reminisced about the  developments that I've witnessed over the years.  Vivid is my memory of receiving a battery operated cassette tape machine when I was about 8 or 9, this was also the same year that my older brother and I committed the cardinal sin of opening presents before my parents got up.  My mum has always taken more pleasure in watching people open presents than what's inside, so this caused merry hell that year.

So, from cassette tapes to MP3 players, corded to cordless and then smart phones, and the explosion of various forms of communication strands.

As an avid twitterer, a thought crossed my mind this week. I can remember joining a container shipping company in Kensington in 1990, the way we communicated was via printed messages that started and ended with '+++' and they were known as the '140 telexes'.......funny that (I found an article that explains the significance of 140 characters here) 

Here is where this post abruptly ends!

No comments: