Who is this Jackcabnory......

London Cab Driver, part-time Singer, micro/macro blogger, runner and primary school teacher in the making.....

Saturday 2 August 2008

Fast Show/Coldplay and Police Bikes.......??

Evening all, some comments/customers of note from the past couple of weeks......


Charlie Higson..... he of Fast Show/Randall & Hopkirk & Young James Bond Novels, from Holborn Circus to Strand. He's working on some kids books for Penguin at the moment and is hoping to do another sketch show with Paul Whitehouse and some of the Fast Show alumni early 2009...... you heard it here first! Very nice bloke

Picked up a lady who works for the child support agency and she mentioned how much of a thankless task it is - the single mothers moaning cos they ain't got their money from the errant fathers, and the errant fathers moaning they haven't got the money to pay said single mothers! - anyhow, to my horror she recounted some of the "comprehensive" applications they receive " 'is name was John and he's from Scotland" and "he's got a tattoo of a shamrock on his arm", you'd think they would get to know these people in some way, thus increasing the chances of :

a) the relationship lasting
b) having a little bit info on tracking them down in those situations where they beggar off!

Anyway, where was I - oh yes summer !! erm, where does everyone go, they don't tell you that at the PCO! it's not the end of the world, but not having had a busy period to compensate, it's a bit tough..... oh well, all part of the practical learning curve of the job.

So there I am, approaching Cannon St from Eastcheap, wading thru the shocking traffic (in complete contrast to no-one around, summer holidays etc etc) and I hear sirens, so being the obedient fellow I slow down to discern from which direction they're coming, low and behold a traffic cop on bike appears and is turning right in front of the cab. He is doing so slowly, so slowly in fact that, cue embarrassing moment 1 - he loses balance and drops the bike, Then he turns the sirens off and begins lifting the BMW lump back up, he tries, and he tries but to no avail - cue embarrassing moment 2 - I ask politely if he would like some assistance, and bike is duly righted. As I drive there is if possible, a final embarrassment as the blethering thing just won't start for him, let's hope he didn't have to wait long for the AA.....

As some may know, I've only been doing the job since Feb, and full time since May, but I can't believe the number of celebs or just generally people that are famous/connected in someway that I have had the pleasure of transporting. On Thursday I spin down New Bond St, as it is a reasonable picking ground for work, and at the top a guy hails me, after telling his girlfriend where Berners St was, he jumps in and asks for Brook Green in Hammersmith. We get chatting and he say's he is going to EMI, who have one of their main offices there. So I ask if he works for them, "no, I work with one of the bands signed to the label" oh say's I, which one "Coldplay" he says......

So the nosey/muso type in me needs to dig deeper, it transpires he is Phil Harvey, who is a school chum of Chris Martin, used to manage the band and now works with them on the creative side (videos/artwork etc etc). A very interesting chat ensues, I don't think I came across too inquisitive, but should he ever read this - tks for indulging me!

Lastly an example of how a rotten day can turn round, this Friday I left home at 6.30 and by 12.30 had made a very VERY small amount of revenue..... then I'm ranked at Kings Cross and a saintly figure approaches the cab, puts a suitcase in the front and says those magical words "Heathrow, Terminal 5 please....!" How I could have kissed him.......

Tis all for now, just to say that following my Brian Wilson experience, I've agreed to head west in a couple of weeks to film some sessions at the Green Man Music Festival........ I'll let you know how it goes.....

No comments: